This is Joe's Fault

Thursday, January 04, 2007

I Didn't Steal This Theme

I found an online article about the Positive Psychology scientists a few months ago, but I haven't done anything with it til now. So I hope you don't think I stole the theme for this week.

I'm not the only person to think about happiness and it's pursuit. The American Founding Fathers, Will Smith, and Ze Frank are just three examples of others who have had struggled with this topic as well.

I realize I cannot really prove that I didn't steal this theme, especially since I just discovered Ze Frank and spent a good deal of the Christmas vacation catching up on his wonderful daily video project, and one of the most popular videos is a week devoted to happiness. But I didn't steal it, I tells ya! (Warning: Ze Frank is addictive if viewed. I will not be held responsible if you spend a good deal of your time watching the show from March 17 until now. I will not!)

I also bought a book today that talks a little more in-depth about Authentic Happiness by Martin Seligman, one of the pioneers of the field. I was saddened to see that it was in the "Psychology/Self-Help" section, which puts his research in very bad company right from the get go. I mean, Dr. Laura Schlesinger was in the same section. Ewwww.

But I've only read a few chapters and I must say, it's interesting at any rate. I would appreciate some more solid data, and I haven't decided yet about the validity of most of it, but at least the anecdotal stuff hasn't made me angry, which is a start.

Anyway, so far it's made me a bit optimistic, but cautiously so. Which, in my experience, is the best kind of optimism.

We'll see what the book has to say about that, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home