This is Joe's Fault

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

It Could Happen!

One of the parts of my job that I really, really enjoy (and spend a disproportionate amount of my time on) is writing web polls for our company intranet. I work at a large, stuffy financial institution so I thought that on our portal we should be able to relax a bit and have a tiny bit of fun.

The questions are changed weekly, so I tend to write a month's worth at a time. I spend a few hours on the internet researching the questions and don't feel a bit guilty that I'm say on the Jetson's fan club site or the Leprechaun Watch site. It's work, dammit!

Sure, we've got about 3,000 or so employees that supposedly use the intranet and most people to ever answer a question has been 120. But still, I feel it's developed a little following of its own.
I even heard one of my questions plagiarized! I was very excited.

The guy next to me is charged with having to make sure the webcasts go off without a hitch, so he has to have them playing low while he works. This one, just for a change, was for a boring financial conference, and as usual I wasn't paying very much attention to it. People talking about financial stuff sounds a bit like Charlie Brown's teacher to me anyway. "Wah-wah-WAH, wah-wah-WAH-wah."

Suddenly some language became discernible and I heard, "...feel about reality shows? A: Love them - I've become addicted. B: Ambivalent - I'll watch them if they're on. C: Hate them - how many shows about eating bugs can there be? (quiet chuckling)" I perked up right away. "Hey! He used my question! Hey! I wrote that! Hey!"

Which means that somebody read it. And thought it was good enough to be stolen and used at a crashingly boring conference as a non-threatening ice breaker. Wow. I couldn't have been more proud if I had asked to host the Emmys.

Jon Stewart, watch your back!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home