This is Joe's Fault

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Coming to the 'Net This Summer!

Whatever happened to the Battle of the Network Stars? I remember as a little kid on Saturday nights in the summer, deep into re-run season, every once in a while there would be a summer extravaganza that promised fun, excitement and a glimpse of your favourite sitcom star in short-shorts and tight adidas t-shirts bouncing around a track. Boo-ya!

Okay, sure it was lame, but it must have been nice for the cast of The Love Boat to get outside, stretch their legs, build some team dynamics, and kick the cast of Quark's ass at the three-legged race.

I wonder who the genius was behind the idea. I mean, in essence it's a company track and field day put on film. But who wouldn't want to see Gabe Kaplan, Tony Randall and Jane Curtin competing against each other in a muddy obstacle course? Nobody, that's who. It's pure television GOLD, baby!

I know it got old quickly, but I don't hold with their attempts to spruce it up. First it was Circus of the Stars, and now it's Celebrity Ballroom dancing or Celebrity Skatedancing or whatever. I tell you what I'd like to see. Celebrity Bearbaiting. Not with bears, though, with celebrities. Celebritybaiting I guess it would be called. Although, I guess to be humaine we'd have to get rid of the wild dogs as well. Oh, how about just celebrities setting on and tearing apart other celebrities? It'd be like Celebrity Fear Factor except with... huh, I guess it's just Celebrity Fear Factor. Damn.

Anyway, the idea is still a good one. Give the audience something good to watch in the midst of the seemingly endless non-new stuff. A break from the monotony of never having anything new to look at in between the vaguely amusing formulaic entertainment.

Say... that gives me an idea...

Battle of the Blog-work Stars!! Possible Blogwork Star Events:

- The 100 word dash
- The three-legged apology
- The mundane update relay
- Hyperlink long jump
- l33t5p34k obstacle course
- Comment field tug-of-war

Oh, if only I knew some blogwork stars! If only...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home