This is Joe's Fault

Monday, January 29, 2007

Viva el Jingle!

Last year around this time the cute boyfriend and I went to Puerto Plata in the Dominican. Unfortunately for us, it was not the best week weather-wise, so we had to spend a few rainy days just lying in our room watching television. (Although, it was kind of nice because we didn't really feel guilty about just being vegetables and we kinda wanted to just lay around watching tv anyway.)

They played this really cute commercial that I got hooked on while I was there. I must have seen it 800 times during the week, and I fell in love with the song. It got stuck right in my head, and I liked it so much I had to find it when I got home. It's great because the song's in English but you can tell it's not sung by a native English-speaker. I love singing it with the accent.

It's an ad for Mercado Libre, the South American version of e-Bay. I saw the Spanish version of it, but also found the Portuguese version, too. I tried to get my Portuguese roommate to tell me what the hell he says when he gets to the girl's house, but she couldn't make it out because of the Brazilian accent. Oh well.

In any event, it's a charming commercial with a simplicity and innocence that I doubt we'd be able to pull off here in N.A. Don't play it more than once, though, you might get hooked on the song.

The reason I took a year to bring it up is that I thought I'd forget about it once I got back. But then a few months ago a soap commercial started playing here in Toronto, and I could swear it's the same guy. The commercial is in English, but the guy doesn't actually speak during it, so it could be that he moved to North America to find his fortune. With such an adorable ponem I don't doubt he'll do well, even if he never speaks. I have no idea how to find out if it's him, though, they don't have an IMDB for commercials, that I know of.

Anyway, it's prompted me to again look up the original commercial on YouTube to share with you all. Enjoy.

(De nada!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home