This is Joe's Fault

Thursday, August 26, 2004

Themeless Thursday

As this is a rudderless week, so to speak, I have no compunction in going back to the work well to fill up today's update.

As I intimated a few weeks ago I work in a cacoon of an office, a murmuring abyss of quietude. As a result I cling to any sound like a tiny lifeboat in a sea of tranquility, even if it's just the sound of me humming, or a snippet of a song that plays over and over and over in my head. And I've got a seemingly endless catalog of songs and sound bytes to choose from, all triggered by the tiniest of hints...

Advertising
I've spent a great deal of my life watching commercials. Now you might guess that would be a wasted life, but you'd be wrong. Because how else could I amuse myself all day long if I couldn't call up these gems out of the recesses of my mind?

Hint
Wing Son, an Asian name on a file

Jingle
"I can't seem to forget you... your Windsong stays on my mind..."

Hint
A woman with the name Libby calls in to ask a question

Jingle
If there's Libby's Libby's Libby's on the label label label, you will love it love it love it on your table table table

Hint
A member lives on Spence street

Jingle
Spence Diamonds... better by design!! (perhaps a little too local of a reference, but if you've heard it once, you'll hear it forever)

Television
I've spent a great deal of my life watching television. Now you might guess that would be a wasted life, but you'd be wrong. Because how else -- ooh, that was weird. I just had the strangest sense of deja vu. Huh. Anyway.

Hint
A member's contact name is Maude.

Song
Isadora was the first bra burner, ain't you glad she showed up? And when the country was fallin' apart Betsy Ross got it all sewed up. And then there's Maude...

Hint
An address with the street name of Morton Avenue

Song (from Schoolhouse Rock) Mr. Morton walked down the street. Mr. Morton walked. Mr. Morton talked to his cat. Mr. Morton talked. Mr. Morton was lonely. Mr. Morton was. Mr. Morton is the subject of the sentence, and what the predicate says, he does.

Hint
The name Martin looks like Martian for a split second

Song (from Santa Claus vs. The Martians)You spell it S-A-N-T-A C-L-A-U-S, hooray for Santy Claus!

Hint
Well, there's not really a hint here. It's just a guy's last name. But the name suggests a certain pronounciation for me. I have to say it the way a certain character from Futurama would pronounce it. And I have to say it about fifty times. See if you can guess which character.

Name
McCooey. That's right, you guessed it. Professor Farnsworth. I just have to add about three more ooey-ooey's on the end of this name, whether I like it or not.

And then of course there is the just plain juvenile side to me, which responds to certain names with a titter and a giggle. Or sometimes just a scratch to the head.

Last name Black-Olive.
Comment Someone who had the last name of Black married a person with the last name of Olive and decided the hyphenated version was the best possible solution to the whole name-change conundrum. "I'll have a pizza with mushroom, pepperoni and my last name please."

Last name Kok
Comment Snnkt!

Name Pina Bannister
Comment Not really the name's fault, but I always think of those stupid kid jokes of fake books by fake authors. You know, like "Sliding Down the Bannister" by Vladimir Rippaballoff, or "Conquering Incontinence" by I. P. Knightly. Okay, so this is a stretch, but whatareyagonnado?

Name Horatio Wong
Comment (blower)

Alright. Well, that's it. Have a great day everybody. I'll be spending it whistling old tunes from Sid & Marty Krofft shows and repeating lines from various commercials and sitcoms all day. Pray for me.

3 Comments:

  • Re names: Try being introduced to someone named Orna Alabaster and keeping a straight face. Go ahead.

    Or say you're checking out at a grocery store and the cashier's name tag says "Felicia O." I almost wrecked three times on the way home from kicking myself for not asking if she was the head cashier.

    Or say you're at a hearing and the judge announces to the world that his name is Dick Wissler. Do you maintain composure? Or do you picture him standing outside on a windy day and playing "Rhapsody in Blue" by moving his naughty bits around?

    Glad to see I'm not the only one who hears old TV jingles when certain names appear. Have fun camping - hopefully you're not camping near Watertown NY, otherwise a forest ranger named Richard Head may check to see if your campsite is satisfactory. And yes, he goes by Dick.

    Cheers

    rudy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:02 PM  

  • I happen to know Orna Alabaster .. and she's a lovely , talented lady. Never thought of laughing at her name.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:42 PM  

  • Orna is annoying to deal with. Very pushy. In her nature I guess.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home