This is Joe's Fault

Monday, September 26, 2005

Learn Something New Every Day

Bonjour mes amis. Comment ca va? Bien! Zut alors, mais c'est been a while since I've updated on a daily basis. And it's been even longer that it wasn't some holier-comme-vous sentimental horse merde, too. But all that's about to change! Oui!

I've been learning just lots and lots of stuff lately. It seems, as the old saying goes, that you actually do learn something new every day. And since I've got nothing else to write about I thought I'd share my learnings each day this week. These are going to be short posts, so be prepared. But at least they'll be here.

Okay, so what did I learn today? Well, for work I had to look up one of those difficult words that can be spelled two ways. What are they called? Oh yeah, homilies. Anyway, it was the word "liquify", which, as you can see, I spell with an "i". Apparently, though, it can be spelled "liquefy". Huh. I take it it's one of those American vs. Canadian spelling things.

(Obviously, I think the way I spell it is right, and my theory is further supported by the fact that the process describes the turning of something from a solid into liquid, not a liqued. But I digress.)

However this fascinating spelling factoid is not the main fascinating factoid I learned today. In trying to verify my American/Canadian spelling theory I stumbled across a bunch of sites that contain Canadianisms. And this is what I learned: the term shit disturber is apparently Canadian in origin. It's true! Harvard says so!

For those of you non-Canadians who can't figure out what a shit-disturber is, well, just look it up in the link I provided, you big keener. Man, only a knob who sits around on his chesterfield all day waiting for his baby bonus cheque to arrive so he can buy a 2-4 instead of paying the hydro would wait for me to spoon-feed him the answer. Ya fuckin' goof.

Ah, my home and native land... what etymological wonders you hold. *sniff*

Bon soir, mon petite siblings! Bon soir!

1 Comments:

  • Yeah, I'm pretty well tired of the spam comments now. How soon the bloom fades off the rose...

    By Blogger Alanis, at 12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home