This is Joe's Fault

Thursday, March 31, 2005

Happy B-Day to Me

Yup, today's my 35th birthday. Woohoo for me! Going to go get me a massage over to The Great American Backrub at lunchtime, then maybe do a little shopping. After work I'm ordering pizza for me and the roommates, then we're going to get all dolled up and go dancing at The Mod Club.

Oh, I'm not one of those "don't mention my birthday, I'm old!" kind of people. Or one of those "I'm not going to mention it to see if anyone remembers me" schemers, either. I certainly don't want to spend my birthday depressed. I always let people know well in advance when it's coming up. I love birthdays. Hell, it's only one day a year, and even if it's kind of a silly "yay, you haven't died yet!" anniversary, I'll take any excuse I can to be pampered a bit. Why the heck not?

I don't really care about presents or anything. It's nice that people remember you and want to do something nice for you, but it's more a day for me to celebrate me. Here is my ritual that I started about ten years ago and try to adhere to when I can. I listen to three songs at some point during the day. The Smiths' Unhappy Birthday which cheers me up more than it sounds like it would. The Sugarcubes Birthday and then Concrete Blonde's Happy Birthday. After I've danced around like an eejit to them all I like to try and go for a nice long walk. I go find a playground (there's one near my house along the lakeshore) and play on the swings for about a half an hour or so. It makes me feel like a kid again. The cool thing about a spring birthday is that if I go to the playground during the day on a schoolday there are no kids there that I have to wait to get off the swings.

I suppose if there were kids there, though, I could just tell them that it's my birthday and they'd probably let me take a turn. Kids still understand that birthdays are special and that everyone deserves a swing ride on their birthday. Course, if they wouldn't give me a turn I could always just push them off and take it anyway. What are they going to do about it? They're just a bunch of stupid kids and I'm huge I tell you. HUGE!!

*ahem* Anyway, I'm off to go get my massage with a happy ending (which for me means cheesecake afterwards). You should go and do something nice for yourself, too. Even if it's not your birthday.

You deserve it!

3 Comments:

  • Huge, you say? But what if they squished your tiny little head?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:08 PM  

  • Happy Birthday!
    I completely agree with you on the birthday front, I always try and make it a special event. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:34 AM  

  • Happy birthday, hope you had a wonderful time swinging, dancing and eating. Have you gone skinny dipping in the lake on your birthday?

    exbee

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home