This is Joe's Fault

Friday, February 28, 2003

I'm Not a Survivor, I'm Gon' Give Up

(*Ahem* Well, yes. I know that it's a Destiny's Child song. However, it fits the theme I've got going on right now. At least I didn't use "pay my automo-bills")

As you may have noticed from my caustic remarks about reality television, I'm not a fan. Unfortunately, my company is working on a product that is closely tied to the granddaddy of them all...can you folks at home guess which one? So for four days in New York I had to pitch our great product that I have little to no interest in.

Also, I had to spend a day with one of the contestants of this show (it was supposed to be TWO cast members, but a little snow proved too much for the big baby, so we only got one). She was paid good money to come and plug our product, smile, pose for pictures, tell the same story of her eating a worm over and over again, sign autographs (Dear [random fan]: I'd never vote you off!) and generally squeeze that last drop of her notoriety out for us.

This was one of the other unpleasant things that happened to me in New York. Not that she herself was unpleasant, on the contrary she was very...ebullient. But it is unpleasant to have to schmooze with a "celebrity" who, not only do you not know, but who worked on a show that you fundamentally oppose. (I have many problems with shows of this calibre, not the least of which is the creepy voyeuristic feel to them. However, since the advent of much, much more creepy reality-based shows this one seems almost bearable. Almost.) But as a wise sage once said "love the sinner, hate the sin". So I smiled nicely, avoided the topic of the actual show as much as possible and then cut out early.

And really, it's all just a matter of personal taste. Just because I find it melodramatic, base and manipulative doesn't mean that millions out there don't like it for just those reasons. A lot of people proclaim to hate the show, but the fact remains that the ratings are better than ever this season. Somebody's gotta be watching it. (This by no means justifies its being on, it just illustrates that there are millions of people who I wouldn't want to be marooned with at a cottage all weekend.)

Perhaps I would have had a better time if the product we're working on were based on a show I liked. Now, if it were tied to say, oh, I don't know, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, I might have been persuaded to sleep with hi-- er, get more excited about the project.

*sigh* If only my company would start working on something like THAT, I'd be all over him. Uh, I mean it. All over it. Heh heh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home