This is Joe's Fault

Friday, March 05, 2004

Friday

Is there nothing better than that moment on a Friday morning when you turn off your alarm and don't have to turn it back on again? Well, yes, that was a silly question, because of course there are a lot of better things than that. My real point was that this is a tiny moment once a week that gives me more pleasure than one would think it should.

Anyway, here we are at the end of the week, and I have kept my little promise of updating every day before work. It has been interesting, if not for anyone reading this, then just for myself. I've never been good at giving myself limits, so I think it's a good idea to try and give myself a time constraint every once in a while.

In any case, I've run out of theatre experiences to drone on about today. I was going to talk about the little attempt at viral marketing that I did two years ago for the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation, and it was going to end with a link to the infernal thing, but since my free internet space is limited and it is a huge, unwieldy file I couldn't upload it for all and sundry to laugh at (or be bored by, whatever the case may be). My friend Stacy and local Toronto radio/television personality Dan Duran were in it as well and they were great sports to act out my lame script.

Actually, it was fun to have a hand in producing something like that. I had an idea to make a bad commercial with purposely bad acting (since I can't really act that seemed safest) to encourage participation in the Run for the Cure. My friend Sarah had her own advertising company that had just produced the same kind of ad for bug spray and so she had the video equipment and the experience and was willing to throw in her company's time for free. My friend Stacy's company donated the space, and Dan donated his time.

And even though only about 8 people saw it, and I doubt it made any of those people want to join the run, it was cool to see how much effort and coordination just a tiny little two minute video took to produce (I had been producing sales videos for the airplane factory, but that was a different ball of wax, not much creative freedom allowed in that). I was rather pleased at how it turned out at the time considering our very limited budget (none) and time constraints, but looking back at it now, it could have been so much better.

Dan and Stacy did a good job in it, but of course they're professionals. Stacy's got her own cirque troupe that she performs in all over the world in her spare time, and she gets commercial work every once in a while, too. She was even in Chicago! (look for the courtroom scene where a girl on a trapeze drops a gun into Richard Gere's hand - that's Stacy), which is the movie I watched the night before getting the idea to write about my musical theatre adventures.

Hm, and we're back to musical theatre. We have come full circle it seems. Wow. You know, only your seasoned professional writers can choreograph and weave a tale so artfully that it you don't even know you're being led back to the beginning. Such circular writing is usually reserved only for certain political pundits or scientologists. Cool.

Well, that's about it for this week dear hearts and gentle people. Another week has passed forever out of our lives like a ghostly dream a skeleton had while hopped up on morphine, while another week stretches on before us like a Massasauga rattlesnake stretches itself out on the precambrian rock of one of Georgian Bay's many beautiful islands, trying to soak up as much sun as he can before a drunken camper shoots him and waves his dead carcass around on the end of his rifle, hooting and braying in much the same way that a mentally challenged person might hoot and bray while waving around his soiled undergarments.

Hm... I might be a bit burnt out on the similies. It's probably the writing every day thing. But, hey! You know what this means? Since I usually only post once a week I'm all stocked up. This means I can take four weeks off! w00t! See ya in April!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home